Tom McEvay – Educational Advisor
Home Phone: 1-250-724-0577
The Alberni Valley Bulldogs play a significant role in our players’ educational needs through the season, with all Bulldogs players attending high school or college classes. Our educational program is recognized by the Canadian Junior Hockey League and by NCAA Division 1 programs as one of the best in North America.
The Alberni Valley Bulldogs have a dedicated educational advisor who is active in ensuring that all players’ academic needs are met and that players leave our organization with the strongest academic profile possible.
Tom McEvay has been the Bulldogs educational advisor since 2004. Tom’s background makes him well-suited for his position. He is a retired Principal with over 30 years of experience as an educator. After Tom finished playing in the WHL, he earned his Bachelor’s Degree in Education from the University of British Columbia while on a hockey scholarship and later earned a Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership from the University of Victoria.
The Alberni Valley Bulldogs and Tom McEvay will:
- Help with the development of an education play for every player;
- Provide advice on long-term education planning including meeting the requirements for Canadian and American Universities and Colleges;
- Assist with NCAA Eligibility Centre procedures and requirements;
- Help with the whole recruitment process, including the development of marketing strategies for players;
- Coordinate and prepare players for SAT exams through weekly study sessions;
- Liaise with the high school and college counsellors to make sure players are set up and succeeding with their courses;
- Provide communication and assistance with parents or guardians;
- Bulldogs graduates often leave with one to three college credits that are fully transferable to their NCAA hockey program. This allows players an easier transition going into the first year of being a student-athlete at the NCAA level and puts the player in a greater position to succeed.